Saturday 18 April 2015

Questions about cooling

As the title suggests I have a few more questions. I have sent them to Derek and hope for a reply on Monday. 

1. As I don't have a heater I have joined the water connection at the
rear right of the engine to a T piece. I have positioned this at the
water connection front left, just above the lower radiator pipe and
connected it to the smaller outlet. The third leg of the t piece joins
to the lower connection on the expansion tank. Is this all correct?




2.  I have a short metal male male union with threaded boss (temp
sensor) half way along it. See photo. Do I need to put this in the
pipeline?



3. If it is needed which sensor is needed? See photo. I believe they
are for different garage types. If it is the one with the round
connection how does the connection work?



4. Again if it is the round type, will I need to use the same for the
oil temp sensor?

5. I think I have the wrong type of cowling. See photo. The fan is
significantly larger and the connections don't line up. Furthermore
the instructions talk of a front cowling as well as a rear. I have the
rear (but sigma) but no front.




6. I have connected the small water outlet at the rear of the engine
directly to the expansion tank is this correct?



I am sure this one is correct! But it is worth checking.

2 comments:

  1. Lawrence,

    Car is looking great so far and the colour looks great. Out of interest,what was your previous Caterham and did you build it?

    Daniel's (http://www.caterhamr500.co.uk) and Tom's (http://caterhamssr.blogspot.co.uk/), Andrew's blogs (http://caterhamsevenbuild.blogspot.co.uk/) helped me out during my build (http://caterham-capers.blogspot.co.uk/) as we were all building around the same time.

    Hope they can provide you with some assistance.

    With regards to your questions above, I have a heater in mine, but the brass union is required and the sensor with the flat blade connection is goes in to it and is required for the ECU rather than the gauge itself. I

    Interesting to see the other sensors, I am just having a dry sump fitted to mine so am guessing that these will also get fitted, but will now check.

    I am also intrigued with the radiator cowling as well as I don't think mine has one at present, but with the dry sump sat behind it I may have to ask about this as well.

    Good look with the build and keep the blog coming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dominic, my first Caterham was a 1.9 k series. It started life as a 1997 roadsport but was converted wit a scholar block before I owned it. I did however put the dry sump and 6 speed gear box on it. I also had it mapped at Emerald, it was producing about 210 bhp.

    This one is going to be a keeper and had to be a bit more powerful so I went for the 220 upgrade

    It is interesting that you identify the correct sensor as the one with the spade connector, as that Derek sent me that one specifically for the dry sump tank oil sensor.

    Thanks for the links to the other blogs but I have been using them, and yours, significantly already. In many way they are more helpful than the manual.

    Cheers

    Lawrence

    ReplyDelete