Tuesday 14 April 2015

Frustrating steering installation

This is definitely not the most annoying thing about this built, the shortages have been far more annoying but some how this has really got my back up.

Yesterday I followed the instructions and fitted the lower steering column. Over night I realised that, having torqued it up as per the documented request, I would need to remove the bottom of the lower column. This would allow me to set the orientation of the steering wheel. There are no other options with the quick release wheel. So again poor instructions.

So today I thought I would spend my precious evening fitting the upper column and wheel centralise it and torque it up for good. The points below outline the steps I took, try to see where I became frustrated.

1. Lubricate and insert top bush - easy
2. Grease upper column and slide through both top and bottom bush
       - top bush bit of wiggling but ok
       - bottom bush won't go through
3. Scratch head 
4. Realise it is not the bottom bush but the lower column that it has to go over. (the lower column needs to slide inside the upper column and both slide inside the bush) It must be a bit misaligned.
5. As I will have to remove the clamp at the bottom of the lower column, I might as well do it now. I will be able to align them outside of the bush before sliding both in.
6. Slide out top column from bottom bush
7. Slide out lower column
8. Align and insert lower into outer.
9. Humm! It doesn't seem to fit.
10. Remove both from car.
11. Inspect upper - looks ok
12. Inspect lower - hum, it has a bit of a lip on it, probably form when it was parted.



13. No problem - out with file to remove lip.



14. It still doesn't fit - out with vernier



Diameter of end of shaft



Inner diameter of upper


Huston we have a problem, or more specifically an interference fit. With a bit of heat I am sure I could get it in but it would never come apart again.

So rather than continuing to file,  which would mean losing round ness and corrosion resistant coating I have decided I might let Derek send me a new lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment